Notice: You have been identified as a bot, so no internal UID will be assigned to you. If you are a real person messing with your useragent, you should change it back to something normal.

Minichan

Topic: I have a question about my OS harddrive.

totoforhire !!pNz4kjfeW started this discussion 15 years ago #3,580

It's nearly full and I can't figure out what is taking up so much space. Can anyone help me with this?

Anonymous B joined in and replied with this 15 years ago, 5 minutes later[^] [v] #64,904

No.

Ph !5pM9NZR/l6 joined in and replied with this 15 years ago, 3 minutes later, 8 minutes after the original post[^] [v] #64,905

I always slim down the amount of videos I have if that comes up. Usually that's the case. A lot of times I have to go through and decide which games I want to leave installed and which ones I probably wont play in a long while. Probably not the case here though.

totoforhire !!pNz4kjfeW (OP) replied with this 15 years ago, 3 minutes later, 11 minutes after the original post[^] [v] #64,908

@previous (Ph !5pM9NZR/l6)
I have no videos.

Ph !5pM9NZR/l6 replied with this 15 years ago, 4 minutes later, 15 minutes after the original post[^] [v] #64,912

@previous (totoforhire !!pNz4kjfeW)
Only other thing I can think of off of the top of my head is to go through your installed programs and get rid of some that you never use or don't need.

totoforhire !!pNz4kjfeW (OP) replied with this 15 years ago, 2 minutes later, 18 minutes after the original post[^] [v] #64,914

@previous (Ph !5pM9NZR/l6)
That's what I'm doing now. Could there be something hidden that I'm not finding?

TheSheep !kJ.A4PF7.k joined in and replied with this 15 years ago, 28 seconds later, 19 minutes after the original post[^] [v] #64,915

Right click on it -> Properties -> Disk Cleanup... see what happens...

Ph !5pM9NZR/l6 replied with this 15 years ago, 53 seconds later, 20 minutes after the original post[^] [v] #64,916

@previous (TheSheep !kJ.A4PF7.k)
That's a good point. How long since you last defragmented as well?

totoforhire !!pNz4kjfeW (OP) replied with this 15 years ago, 6 minutes later, 26 minutes after the original post[^] [v] #64,917

@64,915 (TheSheep !kJ.A4PF7.k)
I'll try now.

totoforhire !!pNz4kjfeW (OP) double-posted this 15 years ago, 25 seconds later, 27 minutes after the original post[^] [v] #64,918

@64,915 (TheSheep !kJ.A4PF7.k)
Where do I find properties?

Ph !5pM9NZR/l6 replied with this 15 years ago, 6 minutes later, 33 minutes after the original post[^] [v] #64,920

@previous (totoforhire !!pNz4kjfeW)
Assuming you're on a PC, My Computer -> Local Disk (generally c) -> Right click on it and then click properties. Properties should be at the bottom of the menu.

(Edited 27 seconds later.)

totoforme !!hWKWsQ1mC joined in and replied with this 15 years ago, 1 minute later, 35 minutes after the original post[^] [v] #64,922

@previous (Ph !5pM9NZR/l6)
Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.

Ph !5pM9NZR/l6 replied with this 15 years ago, 2 minutes later, 37 minutes after the original post[^] [v] #64,924

@previous (totoforme !!hWKWsQ1mC)
No prob, though I'm no PC guru, so when more of the masses wake up you may get some better ideas.

Anonymous F joined in and replied with this 15 years ago, 1 minute later, 39 minutes after the original post[^] [v] #64,925

http://windirstat.info/

protip !tyLmN8C16E joined in and replied with this 15 years ago, 1 minute later, 40 minutes after the original post[^] [v] #64,926

$ cd /
$ du -cksh *

Fake anon !ZkUt8arUCU joined in and replied with this 15 years ago, 1 minute later, 42 minutes after the original post[^] [v] #64,927

Also toto, if you want to be more thorough, click on my computer -> C: drive (or whatever one you want to clean up) -> users -> (your main account) and then you'll get a list of folders. Right click on one of them, and select properties, and you'll get the file size of that folder. I just found out, for example, that my "Downloads" folder is 13 GB, so I'm going to go through it and delete a bunch of stuff in there. You might want to check there too.

Anonymous F replied with this 15 years ago, 53 seconds later, 43 minutes after the original post[^] [v] #64,929

@previous (Fake anon !ZkUt8arUCU)
derp...

totoforme !!hWKWsQ1mC replied with this 15 years ago, 23 minutes later, 1 hour after the original post[^] [v] #64,949

@64,926 (protip !tyLmN8C16E)
I don't know what that means.

totoforme !!hWKWsQ1mC double-posted this 15 years ago, 15 seconds later, 1 hour after the original post[^] [v] #64,950

@64,925 (F)
What is this?

Brie !OudrPWaUDQ joined in and replied with this 15 years ago, 16 minutes later, 1 hour after the original post[^] [v] #64,973

You should download a visual diskspace analyzer so you can just look and see what's taking up so much space. You can even delete stuff right in the program, please try to resist the urge to delete random dlls or such system files in an attempt to gain more space.
Solid free open source options listed below-
WinDirStat for windows; http://windirstat.info/
Kdirstat for line-ux
For Mac idk, but it has DirStat in it.

Enjoy!
;D

ヲワナメ !LSD69pSotU joined in and replied with this 15 years ago, 8 seconds later, 1 hour after the original post[^] [v] #64,974

@64,949 (totoforme !!hWKWsQ1mC)
emerge gentoo

Dodongo !ZQvsveEcD6 joined in and replied with this 15 years ago, 42 seconds later, 1 hour after the original post[^] [v] #64,975

@64,950 (totoforme !!hWKWsQ1mC)
It visually shows you what folders are taking up the most space, so you can easily tell what's taking up all that space.

totoforme !!hWKWsQ1mC replied with this 15 years ago, 55 minutes later, 2 hours after the original post[^] [v] #65,032

@64,973 (Brie !OudrPWaUDQ)
Thank you.

totoforme !!hWKWsQ1mC double-posted this 15 years ago, 16 seconds later, 2 hours after the original post[^] [v] #65,033

@64,974 (ヲワナメ !LSD69pSotU)
You're not being helpful.

advi !!3gpAcg/hF joined in and replied with this 15 years ago, 2 minutes later, 2 hours after the original post[^] [v] #65,040

try running ccleaner? i've removed gigabytes of shit with it before.

(Edited 27 seconds later.)

ヲワナメ !LSD69pSotU replied with this 15 years ago, 2 minutes later, 2 hours after the original post[^] [v] #65,043

@65,033 (totoforme !!hWKWsQ1mC)
yes i am

Anonymous M joined in and replied with this 15 years ago, 2 minutes later, 2 hours after the original post[^] [v] #65,044

@previous (ヲワナメ !LSD69pSotU)
No, cocktrobbles.

ヲワナメ !LSD69pSotU replied with this 15 years ago, 30 seconds later, 2 hours after the original post[^] [v] #65,045

@previous (M)
you are obviously not OP so shut up

totoforme !!hWKWsQ1mC replied with this 15 years ago, 2 minutes later, 2 hours after the original post[^] [v] #65,048

@65,043 (ヲワナメ !LSD69pSotU)
How so? I told you that I didn't understand and you made no attempt to explain yourself.

totoforme !!hWKWsQ1mC double-posted this 15 years ago, 55 minutes later, 3 hours after the original post[^] [v] #65,074

@64,975 (Dodongo !ZQvsveEcD6)

I'm using it now, so we'll see how it goes.

Anonymous N joined in and replied with this 15 years ago, 5 hours later, 9 hours after the original post[^] [v] #65,349

ヲワナメ !LSD69pSotU replied with this 15 years ago, 19 hours later, 1 day after the original post[^] [v] #65,857

@65,048 (totoforme !!hWKWsQ1mC)
it's not fucking hard to understand

ヲワナメ !LSD69pSotU double-posted this 15 years ago, 42 seconds later, 1 day after the original post[^] [v] #65,859

@65,349 (N)

Ryan !PArADOx9ZU joined in and replied with this 15 years ago, 7 minutes later, 1 day after the original post[^] [v] #65,867

     

ヲワナメ !LSD69pSotU replied with this 15 years ago, 15 minutes later, 1 day after the original post[^] [v] #65,895

@previous (Ryan !PArADOx9ZU)
mk

totoforme !!hWKWsQ1mC replied with this 15 years ago, 13 minutes later, 1 day after the original post[^] [v] #65,905

@65,857 (ヲワナメ !LSD69pSotU)
You didn't bother explaining, cocktrobbles.
:

Please familiarise yourself with the rules and markup syntax before posting.