Oatmeal Fucker !BYUc1TwJMU started this discussion 2 weeks ago#137,731
When they're telling stories they give fake names to their characters and usually phrase it like "My friend, let's call her Abigail".
Sometimes it's even just a letter.
Why though? You're not posting their headshot and identifiable information. Just use their name. And even if you are going to use a fake name, why does everyone draw attention to it with "Let's call them [name]"?
Killer Lettuce🌹 !HonkUK.BIE joined in and replied with this 2 weeks ago, 4 minutes later, 1 hour after the original post[^][v]#1,458,308
There have been cases of people seeing stories that they're mentioned in on Reddit, especially when they go viral or whatever. Or just, you know, someone you know might see it and it'll get back to somebody.
I don't know, to me it seems like a pretty basic privacy measure. If I was gonna post something like that, I'd probably change around some details too.
Anonymous C replied with this 2 weeks ago, 3 minutes later, 1 hour after the original post[^][v]#1,458,309
@previous (Killer Lettuce🌹 !HonkUK.BIE)
Can confirm, there was a roast poast about an old theater troop in my town and I totally chimed in. I'm not shy!
Oh this hyper specific story about how this guys friend shat their pants at mcdonalds sounds just like that time I shat my pants at McDonalds, but he's using a different name which he has taken the time to let us know is fake, I guess it can't be about me.
Oatmeal Fucker !BYUc1TwJMU (OP) double-posted this 2 weeks ago, 1 minute later, 2 hours after the original post[^][v]#1,458,316
my point being the use of the fake names isn't necessarily what annoys me (although a first name isn't going to identify anyone), it's the part where they specifically point out that the name is fake and they phrase it with "We'll call him/her Name", it's always that phrasing. Just use the fake fucking name, what does it matter