Minichan

Topic: The Decrease in Nationalism.

Anonymous A started this discussion 3 weeks ago #137,593

I always find it interesting to see how shocked older people are to find out younger people largely don't give a single fuck about concepts like nationalism. There are of course several reasons young people feel this way but what's more interesting I think is how this showcases the cultural, political, and spiritual bubbles we live in. Even within the same country, region, or neighborhood, somebody could have a drastically different worldview. It really makes you wonder if societies are destined to fall to internal division once they get too large.


Please post something in this thread before BL comes to fuck it up like he always does

Anonymous B joined in and replied with this 3 weeks ago, 5 minutes later[^] [v] #1,457,099

> I think is how this showcases the cultural, political, and spiritual bubbles we live in
I DO NOT live in a Spiritual Bubble

I do enjoy reminding people that the concept of Jesus as a virgin birth means...He had to take his own mothers virginity, by punching into and out of her Hymen.

Anonymous A (OP) replied with this 3 weeks ago, 1 minute later, 7 minutes after the original post[^] [v] #1,457,100

@previous (B)
> I don't live in a spiritual bubble I just [crazy shit nobody else believes]
So you live in a bubble in your own head

Anonymous B replied with this 3 weeks ago, 4 minutes later, 11 minutes after the original post[^] [v] #1,457,102

@previous (A)
> [crazy shit nobody else believes]
Just presenting the facts.
"Virgin Birth: Christians widely agree that Mary was a virgin at the time of Jesus' birth. The Gospels of Matthew and Luke record this miraculous event."

Anonymous A (OP) replied with this 3 weeks ago, 3 minutes later, 15 minutes after the original post[^] [v] #1,457,103

@previous (B)
So you're using a thread about nationalism to get on a soapbox and shit on Christianity because you have some issue with it.

Anonymous B replied with this 3 weeks ago, 5 minutes later, 21 minutes after the original post[^] [v] #1,457,104

@previous (A)
Naw so many religions have crazy shit. I just find the virgin birth thing funny.

Anonymous C joined in and replied with this 3 weeks ago, 4 minutes later, 25 minutes after the original post[^] [v] #1,457,105

@OP

> I always find it interesting to see how shocked older people are to find out younger people largely don't give a single fuck about concepts like nationalism. There are of course several reasons young people feel this way but what's more interesting I think is how this showcases the cultural, political, and spiritual bubbles we live in. Even within the same country, region, or neighborhood, somebody could have a drastically different worldview. It really makes you wonder if societies are destined to fall to internal division once they get too large.
>
>
> Please post something in this thread before BL comes to fuck it up like he always does

Plenty of Zs are conservative ultranationalists. Nationalism is simply tribal affinity projected to national borders and often beyond. The geographic imagination plays a role, as do ideas of sacred land and mission. It’s often more complicated than a sports team chant. U.S. nationalism is predicated on old Puritan beliefs mixed with “city on a hill,” mixed with Manifest Destiny, and then cross-correlated with “exceptionalism.”

Part of the reality is that geography isolated it from being quickly crushed by a stronger European power. In 1814, Britain could blockade major ports and burn the capital and the government simply relocated to Kentucky. Enjoy a 19th century overland march through the Appalachians.

During the Civil War, the British realized their superior blue water fleet would be bled out in the littorals new American ironclads dominated.

Anonymous A (OP) replied with this 3 weeks ago, 22 minutes later, 48 minutes after the original post[^] [v] #1,457,113

@previous (C)
> Plenty of Zs are conservative ultranationalists
This is a much much smaller number than you think it is. Social media tends to amplify the loudest voices

Anonymous D joined in and replied with this 3 weeks ago, 59 minutes later, 1 hour after the original post[^] [v] #1,457,117

@previous (A)

> >Plenty of Zs are conservative ultranationalists
> This is a much much smaller number than you think it is. Social media tends to amplify the loudest voices

Of course it does, mixed in with the drumbeat of inter-generational stereotypes and squabbles. Polling does show a significant conservative and anti-feminist streak compared to millennials. At the same time, the “patriarchy evil, men bad” mantra and school books that only portray men as evil, gasp, triggers a “fuck you” response.

Anonymous E joined in and replied with this 3 weeks ago, 3 minutes later, 1 hour after the original post[^] [v] #1,457,119

@1,457,099 (B)
Was this before or after swingdancing with Maria?

Anonymous A (OP) replied with this 3 weeks ago, 7 minutes later, 1 hour after the original post[^] [v] #1,457,120

@1,457,117 (D)
I'm aware of the polling but I think it's all largely performative. Younger people don't want to be viewed as "cucks" by supporting women's rights when many women online are calling for all men to be beheaded. It's mostly an internet echo chamber meme issue

Anonymous F joined in and replied with this 3 weeks ago, 38 minutes later, 2 hours after the original post[^] [v] #1,457,122

@previous (A)

> I'm aware of the polling but I think it's all largely performative. Younger people don't want to be viewed as "cucks" by supporting women's rights when many women online are calling for all men to be beheaded. It's mostly an internet echo chamber meme issue

Fair point. I’ve always considered myself a feminist (pay, shared responsibilities, rights, etc.). I have no interest in this antagonistic and blame-rich 4th Wave strain that’s rigidly dogmatic and casts women as eternal victims of the bogeyman patriarchy.

Mr. Bloody Lemonade !0JqexkOGBc joined in and replied with this 3 weeks ago, 14 hours later, 17 hours after the original post[^] [v] #1,457,432

Tbh nationalism is dumb. I’ve met too many cool people from other countries and too many shitty people from my own country (plenty of good ones too), to believe that foreigners are bad.

Mr. Bloody Lemonade !0JqexkOGBc double-posted this 3 weeks ago, 1 minute later, 17 hours after the original post[^] [v] #1,457,433

@1,457,113 (A)

> >Plenty of Zs are conservative ultranationalists
> This is a much much smaller number than you think it is. Social media tends to amplify the loudest voices

Tbh I’m Gen Z and, I think I’m actually probably more conservative than the average person my age.

Anonymous G triple-posted this 3 weeks ago, 8 minutes later, 17 hours after the original post[^] [v] #1,457,436

I’m not conservative and I’ve never been very religious. Ironically, when I was a kid, Catholicism felt almost kind of morbid with the focus on sin and death. But honestly in the current political climate I feel the opposite, it feels like one of the only places I hear any positivity coming from. But that’s probably one of the only maybe more "conservative" (however you’d define it) tendencies I might lean towards.

Anonymous G quadruple-posted this 3 weeks ago, 2 minutes later, 17 hours after the original post[^] [v] #1,457,437

And not positive as in good news, I mean positive as in people projecting ideas out into the world that aren’t hateful, that are actually human that have empathy. And MAGA is very anti Catholic so I see them write a lot of hateful things towards the church online, but then when I contrast that with what I hear coming from the church, I can’t help but feel like between Catholicism and whatever they’re on, it feels right.

Anonymous G quintuple-posted this 3 weeks ago, 5 minutes later, 17 hours after the original post[^] [v] #1,457,438

Although it’s weird, some far left people think Catholicism is more conservative than it actually is for some reason. It’s like they’ll just sort of say stuff. It’s probably mostly because of the abortion thing. But when it comes to views on poverty for example, I think compared to all the racist bigotry and acting like poor people are stupid or lazy, I definitely think the church’s stance on that is way more progressive. Like people think it can be categorized into left or right but it can’t really, it’s its own thing.
:

Please familiarise yourself with the rules and markup syntax before posting.